Tuesday Week 2 - Cross Country
Friday Week 2 - Mother’s Day Breakfast
Friday Week 4 - 1/2 Assembly
Tuesday Week 8 - Excursion
Friday Week 9 - Reports go home
We enjoy having our loved ones join us in the classroom to do reading from 8:50 until the bell rings each day. Please feel free to join us whenever you have the opportunity.
Reader's Workshop: Throughout the term students will be developing their knowledge of a range of comprehension strategies, including
- Summarising - remembering to tell what is important, tell it in the order it happened and in a way that makes sense without repeating the whole story!
- Uh-oh Phew - this strategy helps us think about what the problem in the story is, how it gets worse (sometimes) UH-oh! and how the problem gets solved (Phew!)
- Title Power- how does the name of the book help us connect to the story? Does it help us determine what's important?
- Character Reactions - sometimes looking at the way characters respond in a story can help us find the problem or give us more information about what is happening in the text
We also focus on decoding strategies to assist with our reading accuracy, including
- Picture cues - can the pictures help us when the word is tricky?
- Reading on - what does the rest of the sentence tell me?
- Checking to make sure their reading makes sense
Work on Writing: This term writing will focus on writing to entertain and inform. We will be developing our knowledge of
- Sentence openers
- Great ways to start a story
- Developing a problem
- Writing a resolution to the problem
- Facts or Fibs
- Labelled diagrams
- The Writing Process
Through mini-lessons we will continue to focus on grammar, punctuation, editing and proofreading.
Fine Motor - Students participate in regular fine motor rotations to build our finger and hand strength for handwriting. These may include beading, tweezers, balling paper, playdough, tying shoe laces, pegging etc
Oral Language - This term we are starting Time for Talk. A note with details was sent home on Monday (Week 1). Presentations start in Week 2. Please support your child to think about what they want to share with their classmates.
Year 1 - We will focus on subtraction, skip counting, number lines
Year 2 – We will focus on place value, skip counting, addition and subtraction. Later in the term we will be exploring multiplication and division as well as fractions.
Maths Extra - Monday, Friday
Throughout the term students will be learning about position, mass and length.
FMS - We will focus on the following skills throughout the term:
- Side stepping
- Cooperative games
History Inquiry - During the first half of the term students will be completing a history unit called 'We are Family'. During this inquiry students will use picture books to discuss how families are similar and different. We will also look at the roles and responsibilities and how they have changed over time.
Fabulous Friday- STEM - students will continue to develop their knowledge of google slides by inserting, resizing and rotating images.
- Visual Arts - ANZAC paper sculpting, family portraits (sketching)
- Music - As well as music lessons with Mrs Washington, students will also participate in dance and singing.
Students will be participating in looking after our 1/2 garden this term. This will include, raking, planting, watering, weeding and possibly harvesting our produce.