Week 5 - School Musical Excursion
Friday Week 6 - Father’s Day Breakfast
Monday Week 7 - Grand Friend's Morning
Week 7 - Student Led Conferences
Week 8, 9 - Year 2 Aquasafe Lessons
Morning Reading - With the cold mornings upon us sometimes the doors may not be wide open but please feel free to join us in the mornings for reading from 8:50 am.
Reader's Workshop: Throughout the term students will be developing their knowledge of a range of comprehension strategies, including
- Why a visual? - how do the pictures, diagrams, charts and drawings in a text help me to understand it? What extra information can I get from the visual?
- Comparing images -We are learning to compare and understand the differences between fiction and nonfiction text images and illustrations.
- Making connections- when I am reading I can make connections between the text and something in my own experiences, something in another text I’ve read, or something I know about in the real world. Making connections helps me to better understand what I am reading.
- Read, cover, remember, retell - After I read, I think about what happened in the book and retell the main points. This can help me better understand the storyline.
We also focus on decoding strategies to assist with our reading accuracy, including
- Sounding out
- Looking for vowels that go together
- Make attempts that make sense
- If you don’t know guess
- Slow down the zoom
- Think while you read the words
Work on Writing: This term writing will focus on writing to entertain and explain. We will be developing our knowledge of
- Nouns, verbs and adjectives
- Sentence openers
- A Moment in Time
- Describe It
- Label It
- The Writing Process
Through mini-lessons we will continue to focus on grammar, punctuation, editing and proofreading.
Fine Motor - Students participate in regular fine motor rotations. These may include beading, tweezers, balling paper, playdough, tying shoe laces, pegging etc
Oral Language - This term we will continue Talk Time. A note with details was sent home early this week. Please assist your child to prepare and practise their presentation before their delivery date.
Mighty Maths - Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
Year 1 - We will focus on place value, addition, subtraction, skip counting (forwards and backwards) and fractions (halves - sharing a collection of materials into two equal portions, as well as, splitting an object into two equal pieces and describing how the pieces are equal)
Year 2 – We will focus on place value (reading, writing and ordering 3 digit numbers) addition, subtraction, skip counting (forwards and backwards by 2s, 3s, 5s and 10s) and problem solving.
Maths Extra - Monday, Friday
Throughout the term students will be learning about time, three dimensional objects, chance and probability. Time, particularly for Year 2 students, can be tricky so any extra practise at home is sure to help. Year 2 students will be consolidating their understanding of o’clock and half past (Yr 1 content) and learning to read quarter to and quarter past on digital and analogue clocks.
FMS - We will focus on the following skills throughout the term:
Geography Inquiry - During the first half of the term students will be completing a geography unit focusing on identifying places we are connected to and factors that influence our connections. We will survey each other about holiday locations, and places near and far that we may be connected to. We will also discuss how we communicate with family and friends that are near and far.
Science Inquiry - In the second half of the term students will be completing a science unit called 'Push-Pull'. During this inquiry students will explore the forces of push and pull. Through investigations, students observe and gather evidence about how these forces act in air and water, and on the ground. Students identify the effect of the pull of gravity and learn that both air and water can 'push'.
Fabulous Friday -
- STEM - students will continue to develop their knowledge of google apps - we will be using Google Drawings to make fantastic pictures
- Visual Arts - students will be learning how to sketch landscapes and animals. They will also be illustrating a story.
- Dance - students will continue to learn and contribute to our end of year concert performance based on a story we have collaboratively created.
Garden GrubsStudents will be continue to look after our 1/2 garden by raking, watering and weeding. This term we will plant some seeds and watch them grow in the classroom to protect them from the cold weather. We aim to then plant our seedlings into the garden beds in Spring.